Thursday, January 15, 2009

Restoration

We have now been in Buffalo for 3 months.  That's really hard to believe in a way.  But in a way it feels like we've been here longer.  We haven't given an update on how Restoration Church is going in a while, so I wanted to do that.  The short answer is that it's going great!  Since October the church had been meeting on Sunday evenings every other week.  Two Sundays ago (on January 4th) we started meeting on Sunday mornings every week, and that has been wonderful.  Sunday evenings were great too, but there is something about starting your day out by worshipping the Lord, and also having the sun shining through the windows and reflecting off the snow that makes it feel more joyous!

Wes is loving his job as a worship pastor.  He is super busy, especially now since we are meeting every week, but it is a good busy with a great purpose.  He is doing such a good job, and everyone seems to love him.  He has also had several opportunities to lead worship at a couple other churches for youth meetings, and he is going to be leading at a youth camp later this month which is very cool.  He loves doing stuff like this, and it's great that he has been able to meet other pastors who have asked him to help out with these things.

I have been involved by helping with the set up of our gathering each week, helping set up the coffee and snacks, and last week I started singing with Wes on the worship songs.  This is something he asked me to do, and though I love to sing, I'm not a real fan of singing in front of people into a microphone -- however, I really want to help out the church in any way I can and it's good to get out of our comfort zones every now and then!  I also have to remember that the only audience I'm singing for is God, right?!  I will also be helping out in the children's area about once a month, so that will be fun.  

We have a small group now that has started meeting every Thursday night and I think that is going to be a huge part of our lives here.  We currently have about 8 people (including Wes and me).  Our small group won't be the same every week, which will be exciting.  We will either be discussing scripture, discussing the previous Sunday's message, playing games, eating, praying, or serving out in the community.  We are really looking forward to the wonderful relationships I know we will (and already have) form through this.

We have new faces at Restoration Church every week and that is very exciting.  It is VERY different living in western New York as opposed to the Bible belt of the south like we always have.  It seems that everyone in the south is either a Christian, claims to be a Christian, or at least knows the "story" of Jesus.  There are so many people here in Buffalo that do not know or understand the love of Jesus.  They do not realize what He did for us by dying on the cross.  Or maybe they do, but they don't understand that salvation is a free gift.  You don't have to earn it.  You don't have to be worthy of it.  Many people here have backgrounds that were very "religious", but they don't get that it's all about a relationship with Jesus.  Dan, the pastor, has already talked to so many people who have been deeply touched by what they have seen or heard at Restoration.  That is why we are here.  Yes, we miss our families terribly.  Yes, it's hard to deal with blizzards and driving in several inches of snow and walking the dog in sub-zero weather.  Yes, we miss living in Nashville and the great friends we have there.  But is it all worth it knowing that we are living in obedience to God and His call on our lives to live in Buffalo for a time?  Is it worth it knowing that people may come to know the Lord and that we have the privilege of being a small part of that?  ABSOLUTELY!  We are thankful and humbled to be a part of what God is doing in western New York.

Also, real quick, I wanted to give a shout-out to my sister's husband, my brother in law, Josh!  I failed to mention in my Christmas post that he was not able to be with us on Christmas Eve because he is a fire fighter and was working on Christmas Eve.  While we were enjoying lots of food, family, and presents, he was working hard saving lives and protecting the people of Anniston!!  I'm sorry you weren't able to be there, Josh, but thank you for risking your life to protect others!  Here is a special picture of Josh since I didn't have any of him in my last post:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking of you a little while ago when I read that Franklin and Buffalo were BOTH named by the Nat'l Trust for Historic Preservation in the 2009 list of America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations . :) (bleh! that was a mouthful!) Happy New Year!